Hey guys! Did you know that today is National Junk Food Day?!? We’re not big on junk food in our house …because you know, that whole self control thing…💁🏻 (road trips and camping trips might be a different story though 😉), but every now and then it just feels good to ‘treat yo self’ and others. I thought I would hop on real quick and share our favorite cookie recipe that I threw together after my husband fell in love with Franz’s Coconut S’mores cookies which he found at some “fancy” convenience store/gas station in Northwestern WA. I have included the brand’s I use (because I do think this can sometimes affect flavor) but this post is not sponsored in any way. …and please feel free to use what your family loves and is convenient for you!
So here we go…
Coconut S'mores Cookies
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter, softened — I use 1 wrapped package of Kerrygold from Costco
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar — Love Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Small Pkg. Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix — I use JELL-O brand’s new “Simply Good” pudding mix in Vanilla Bean 3.9oz package
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract — No imitation for us, it’s $$$ but trust me it makes a difference
- 2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour –I use Bob’s Red Mill for this too
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda — Also Bob’s Red Mill
- 3/4 to 1 whole 11 oz. Pkg. Chocolate Chips — I use Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate, but if you like that Semi-sweet bite go for it!
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup Mini Jet Puffed Marshmallows
- 1/2 Cup chopped nuts — We like walnuts (nuts are totally optional but great if you like that crunch).
Preheat oven to 375*.
Beat the softened butter (one way to quickly soften butter is put it in the microwave for a full 30 second duration, but stopping it and pausing every 5 or so seconds- you’re welcome), both sugars, dry pudding mix, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl, or if you are lazy like me your Kitchen Aid mixer. Beat until creamy and fluffy.
In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking soda.
Slowly add the flour mixture a little at a time into the cookie batter.
Once all mixed, add the chocolate chips, shredded coconut, marshmallows, and nuts -also a little at a time.
Drop by spoonfuls (I use Pampered Chef’s large scoop) onto a cookie sheet (I cover mine with my silpat baking mat), and bake for 10 minutes or just until they have the slightest hint of golden brown on top.
Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
I usually make about 2 dozen and scoop out the rest and freeze. That way we have some ready to go whenever we’d like and they taste just as good.
*Mix it up… another version we love is to swap out the vanilla pudding for chocolate and the milk or semisweet chocolate chips for white chocolate chips. Mmmm…😋
**Please note chocolate chip cookies with a pudding base come out soft. If you prefer a crispier chocolate chip cookie, these might not be for you. Thankfully I love both. My favorite store bought crisp chocolate chip cookies are Tate’s Bake Shop. YUM! 😋 Their Gluten free ones are equally amazing!